Monday, January 5, 2009
Nutty Chocolate Rum Truffles
Courtesy of The Food Channel®
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or brandy flavoring
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 6 ounces almonds, finely ground
1. Heat the whipping cream and butter together just to a simmer, then add chocolate. Remove from heat while chocolate melts. Add flavoring. Stir until glossy and pour into a chilled bowl. Set aside until firm.
2. Once firm, use a small melon baller and scoop ganache out. Roll by hand and set aside.
3. Melt 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate with 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until melted; microwave additional seconds as needed. Drop each ball individually into chocolate, roll with a fork until coated, then use the fork to lift out and place into a bowl with the finely ground almonds. Roll around until coated, then lift out and place on parchment. Chill and keep refrigerated.