Monday, April 27, 2009
Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
recipe courtesy of allchocolate.com
- 9-inch baked pastry shell or crumb crust, cooled
- 2-1/2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Prepare pastry shell; cool.
Combine chocolate and 2 cups milk in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture boils, then remove from heat. Stir together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl. Blend remaining 1 cup milk into egg yolks. Stir into sugar mixture. Gradually add to chocolate mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared pastry shell; press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool; refrigerate until well chilled.
Top with whipped cream, if desired.